Monday, November 23, 2009

The Fox is officially watching the Hen House




I happened upon an excellent blog and a great post recently. The title asked whether or not the gender gap exists in fashion.

http://www.teacup.topstitched.com.au/2009/11/the-gender-gap-does-it-exist-in-fashion/


I pounced on the opportunity to get something out in the open that has been nagging my mind for awhile, sometimes it takes the right person or set of circumstances to bring up what is in someone's heart.
The author was talking about how in the fashion industry, men have so many more of the higher paying jobs, and that fashion design has been dominated especially in recent years, primarily by gay male designers and that because those who dole out opportunities for exposure to the media and advancement in the fields of fashion, give preferential treatment to gay male designers because there is a persistent belief that gay men know better what women want from thier apparel than women designers do.

I believe that this is  propaganda that has been viciously aggrandized by male fashion designers and the mainstream has accepted it wholeheartedly, because it's easy to get people to agree on the subject of women being inferior at something.

It is unfortunate that an industry supposedly made for women ( and one that is so lucrative ) is so good at oppressing them.

I remember watching one particular episode of Project Runway  a few years back, where the contestant Wendy Pepper was torn apart by judge Michael Kors. He looked at her with what was clearly a jealous outrage in his eyes and said  " Is this supposed to be about you as a woman?!"  Well, clearly the fact that she is a woman and the fact that the clothes are going to be worn by a woman might have some value? I couldn't believe that he was that angry. I questioned then and there the real purpose of this show and the motives and intentions of Michael Kors. I at least question his ability to judge that show if he is so misogynistic and  threatened by the unique perspective that women will always be able to bring to being a women's clothing designer.

I think that the chase for prominence and market power is the excuse for this woman hating behavior to parade itself so shamelessly in all of our publications, tv shows and other media. I am tired of hearing this confidence eroding lie spouted by people in fashion, women deserve respect, not to be marginalized and silenced  yet again by the industry that is supposed to serve our whims and desires. Where is the outrage by women leaders in the fashion industry against such degradation?

Of course if you ask some gay male designers what they think, they will say that they think they are better at it, and come up with elaborate philosophies as to why,  none of which are particularly well thought out.

I hope that women out there who are struggling with their creative aspirations and endeavors will not allow this  type of thinking to chip away at thier confidence. Women need reasons to feel good about themselves and their intrinsic value. I know I certainly could have used a "shot in the arm" when I was younger and if I had not believed myself that women were not as artistically apt as men I would have started my own career with much more gusto and ambition.

I hope this link and article reach female artists to give confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment